SIA Virtual Conference 2020 – ‘Architecture Saving OUR World’
Architecture Saving OUR World - Our conference brings together speakers from all over the world to discuss some of the most pressing issues that we are facing in the architecture industry now. This year, in response to the global pandemic, we will be hosting a virtual conference and exploring three themes: Radical Indegenism, Design Empowerment and Empathic Intervention. These themes have been chosen with special attention to align with the specific expertise from our curated list of inspiring speakers.
28 Sep, 7:00 - 8:15 pm (Singapore time)
How to Save OUR World while Running a Sustainable Architecture Practice
By Anna Heringer, Studio Anna Heringer | Germany
“I strongly believe that what we have in architecture…is a very important and powerful tool to improve lives. Because in the end…it’s a lot of money that is in our hands and we are responsible for it…and we need to take care of our beautiful planet. We need to find an architecture that helps reduce the injustice that is happening all over the world and we can…and should contribute to cultural diversity. And I think for these, architecture is a wonderful tool.”
Day 1 - 28 Sep, 3:00 - 6:00 pm (Singapore time)
- Local issues, indigenous culture, materiality, ecological sustainability
Building on the term “Radical Indigenism” recently coined by environmentalist designer Julia Watson, the Conference starts with acknowledging the indigenous culture and local wisdom. How can architecture learn from the vernacular system, materiality and philosophy, to improve our environment and our lives? Focusing on the CONTEXT of design, discussion in this session will range from cultural heritage, traditional material, rural development, renewable energy, sustainable habitat, to human existentialism.
Architecture is a Tool to Improve Lives
- Anna Heringer, Studio Anna Heringer | Germany
- Xu Tiantian, DnA Design and Architecture | China
Redefining the Landscape: Creating Innovative Architectural Concepts Through Buddhist Meditation and the 5 Precepts
- Vo Trong Ngia, VTN Architects | Vietnam
Why We Design Poorly for the Poor
- Prasoon Kumar, BillionBricks | Singapore
Day 2 - 29 Sep, 3:00 - 5:30 pm (Singapore time)
- Participation, accessibility, community engagement, social resilience
The second session of the Conference will investigate the PROCESS of co-designing and co-working with communities. How can architects engage the local community through design and construction? And in the process, gaining deeper appreciation of the core value of the community that the architecture ultimately serve? Speakers in this session will share their unique methodology and experience in working with diverse communities, and discuss how architecture could be more collaborative, accessible, empowering, and resilient, whether in time of peace or crisis.
未來「新文明」－ 部落 (“Tribe" as the New Civilization )
- Hsien Ying-Chun, Atelier-3 | Taiwan
*This talk will be in Mandarin with English subtitle or translation where applicable.
Democratic Education, Quality Design, Accessible for All
- Joshua Peasley, Harrison Marshall, CAUKIN Studio | UK
- Daliana Suryawinata, Florian Heinzelmann, SHAU Rotterdam-Bandung | Indonesia
Leading a Positive Change
- Ar. Chu Yang Keng, IX Architects | Singapore
Day 3 - 30 Sep, 7:00 - 9:30 pm (Singapore time)
The IMPACT of design
- Humanistic, purposeful, urbanistic, tactical, place-making, transformative
The new post-COVID world presents much more volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity. Welcome to VUCA 2.0. How can we design buildings and cities more purposefully so that they can fight against climate change, natural disasters, health risks and future pandemic? The final session of the Conference will examine the IMPACT of architecture from the human level to the urban level, and discuss the meanings of impact, design ethics, and the inevitable trade-offs, while pushing architecture to the frontline of humanity and ecological wellness.
- Stefan Sjöberg, Kjellander Sjöberg | Sweden
Towards Half - Design for a Climate Positive Future
- Kelly Alvarez Doran, MASS Design Group | Rwanda, UK
Uncertain by Design
- James Shen, People's Architecture Office | US, China
- William Ti Jr., WTA Architecture and Design Studio | Philippines
It’s a Job… It’s a Career… It’s Ikigai!
- Ar. Michael Leong, SAA Architects | Singapore
Important to Note:
- Full Session (Three-day) and Single Session (One-day) fees do not include Special Dialogue with Anna Heringer.
- Participants who wish to attend two sessions should purchase two Single Session tickets.
- We may provide your contact information to Event Partners / Sponsors for any sessions or activities you have attended involving our Event Partner / Sponsors.
- The Webinar join link and password will be sent via email 1 day before the session.
- The Webinar join link and password will be sent via email latest 1 hour before the session for last-minute sign-ups.
- The Webinar will be opened for registered participants to enter 30 minutes before the session.
- The Webinar will be locked 10 minutes after the session begins.
- The Special Dialogue with Anna Heringer will be conducted on Zoom meetings, attendees will be able to turn on camera for an up-close and direct interaction with Anna Heringer.
- During the sharing session, attendees other than the speakers will be muted.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the Q&A and we will try to address them at the end
- During the Q&A session, attendees will be unmuted to allow for discussion
- Do note that this session will be recorded
- Please be reminded to join the Webinar with an Identifiable Name for attendance tracking.
- If you have a BOA/SIA No, please key in beside your name when joining the Webinar.
Terms & Conditions:
- Fees paid are non-refundable under all circumstances.
- Ticket is non-transferable under all circumstances.
- Photos and videos will be taken throughout the event. By attending the event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to SIA (Singapore Institute of Architects), Archifest Organisers and its affiliates the irrevocable and perpetual right to use your likeness in promotional and marketing materials.
- The number of tickets (for each ticket type) that can be purchased per order is set to 6 tickets.
- For purchase of more than one ticket, please provide the details of all participants. A Zoom link to access the registered session(s) will be shared with the respective participants. This link should not be shared with others; it is unique to each participant.
- Replacement/Cancellation of a participant will not be allowed under group registration.
For more info, please visit https://www.archifest.sg/conference
- The event description was updated. Diff#696837 2020-08-14 05:05:01
[ Mon ] - [ Wed ]
3:00 PM - 9:30 PM SGT
- Online event
Special Dialogue with Anna Heringer (SIA member) $35.00 Special Dialogue with Anna Heringer (Public) $70.00 Full Session, All 3 days (SIA member) $80.00 Day Pass, 28 Sep 2020 (SIA member) - Radical Indigenism $35.00 Day Pass, 29 Sep 2020 (SIA member) - Design Empowerment $35.00 Day Pass, 30 Sep 2020 (SIA member) - Empathic Intervention $35.00 Full Session, All 3 days (Public) $160.00 Day Pass, 28 Sep 2020 (Public) - Radical Indigenism $70.00 Day Pass, 29 Sep 2020 (Public) - Design Empowerment $70.00 Day Pass, 30 Sep 2020 (Public) - Empathic Intervention $70.00 Full Session, All 3 days (SIA student member) $20.00 Full Session, All 3 days (student) $30.00
On sale until Sep 28, 2020, 1:00:00 PM
Archifest Singapore2,500 Followers